My variation on the classic punjabi Mushroom Matar Masala . I add a secret ingredient which gives the dish a distinct tomatoee (if at all that word exists ) flavor
Here is what you need
1 large onion finely chopped
3 large Roma Tomatoes chopped
1 cup frozen peas
8 oz mushrooms . sliced
1 Ginger Garlic Paste
2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp Coriander powder
1 tsp Jeera Powder
1 tsp Pav Bhaji Masala
1 tbsp Tomato Ketchup ( My secret ingredient)
Salt to taste
Here is how you make it :
1. In a non stick pan , heat 1 tsp oil and 2 tsp ghee.
2. Add the onions and sauté well. Cook the onions until they turn light brown . This step requires some patience . It takes about 15 mins on low flame.
3. Add the ginger garlic paste and cook again,
4. Add the tomatoes and sauté well. Cook well again for 5 mins on medium flame.
5. Now add the dry masalas and sauté.
6. Add the mushrooms and peas and mix well.
7.Add 2 cups water and cook covered for 10 mins or until the mushrooms are soft and cooked.
8. Now add salt and ketchup and mix. Adding ketchup gives a nice tomatoee flavor and a nice red color.
9. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with Rotis or rice.